(1) I had a glorious time at Christmas.
(2) I stayed in bed till ten o’clock every morning, and breakfast (TO BRING UP) ________ to me. (3) As for the Christmas dinner, you (CANNOT) ________ see the table for food. (4) There was turkey and roast (POTATO) ________, Christmas pudding and mince pies, apples, oranges, nuts – everything you could want.
(5) And the room looked bright with holly and mistletoe and evergreens and coloured paper.
A traveller (1)SEND a parrot to his wife. After a few weeks he arrived home himself. On the (2)TWO day after his (3)ARRIVE he asked his wife: "Where is the bird?" "We’ve already eaten it," was the answer. ‘Eaten it! Why, it was a bird that could speak!" "Why (4)DO NOT it say anything then?"
(1)When I (WAKE) ________ next morning, I felt (HUNGRY) ________ than I had ever felt in my life before; I seemed to have a hole instead of a stomach. (2) I dressed quickly and hurried down to the dining-room. (3) It was a big room with six tall windows and the (UGLY) ________ wallpaper I had ever seen. (4) However, I had been told that the hotel was not beautiful but that you (FEED BETTER) ________ there than in any other hotel in London; – and that was what I wanted just then.
(1) A country lad was going by train for the (ONE) ________ time in his life. (2) The train was approaching a tunnel. (3) One of his (FELLOW-PASSENGER) ________ wanted to frighten the lad and said, "Now we are going to hell."
(4) "Never mind," answered the lad calmly, "I’ve got a return ticket."